Briquette Scalloped Potatoes
Creamy and cheesy with a touch of garlic, these delicious potatoes make a great side dish for anything! Don’t worry about leftovers…there won’t be any. —June Dress, Boise, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Grill: 70 min.
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 5 pounds potatoes (about 6 large), peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- Prepare grill or campfire for low heat, using 20-24 charcoal briquettes or large wood chips.
- Line a Dutch oven with heavy-duty aluminum foil; add half of the potatoes. Top with 1-1/2 cups cheese, onion, butter, garlic, onion salt, salt and pepper. Top with remaining potatoes and cheese. Pour milk over the top.
- Cover Dutch oven. When briquettes or wood chips are covered with white ash, place Dutch oven directly on top of 10 of them. Using long-handled tongs, place remaining briquettes on pan cover.
- Cook for 70-80 minutes or until bubbly and potatoes are tender. To check for doneness, use the tongs to carefully lift the cover.