Bright Butter Pastries
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- apple and cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into an 18x15-in. rectangle. Cut 1/3 cup butter into small pieces. Dot dough with butter to within 1 in. of edges. Fold lengthwise into thirds, then widthwise into thirds, forming a 6x5-in. rectangle. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate for 15 minutes. Repeat the rolling, dotting with butter, folding and chilling two times.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. For fans, combine the brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon; set aside. Roll one portion of dough into an 18x10-in. rectangle. Cut into eighteen 5x2-in. rectangles. Brush with melted butter to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with brown sugar mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; curve ends down to form crescent shape. With scissors, cut from outside edge to two-thirds of the way down toward opposite side at 1-in. intervals. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- For S-shaped rolls, divide other portion of dough into 18 pieces. Shape each piece into a 10-in. rope. Shape rope into an S-shape, then coil ends until they touch the center. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheet. Fill coil ends with 1-2 teaspoons pie filling. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients. Drizzle over rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 155 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 84mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 4, 2020
THIS recipe has been a staple Christmas treat in our family for over 45 years. Our children and their families expect “s” rolls on Christmas morning.
Jan 16, 2009
most delicious pastry, yum!