Brie Tartlets with Caramelized Balsamic Onion Marmalade
These elegant bite-size tarts combine sweet caramelized onions with creamy Brie to create a simple yet sophisticated appetizer…perfect for your next party.—Erin Chilcoat, Smithtown, New York
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 packages (1.9 ounces each) frozen miniature phyllo tart shells
- 1 round (8 ounces) Brie cheese, cut into 30 pieces
- Toasted slivered almonds, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until softened. Add brown sugar, vinegar and garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 35-40 minutes or until deep golden brown. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Place tart shells on an ungreased baking sheet. Place one piece of cheese in each; top with onion mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Serve warm.
To Make Ahead: The caramelize onion marmalade may be made up to a week in advance. Store covered in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 tartlet: 67 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 84mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Brie Tartlets with Caramelized Balsamic Onion Marmalade in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.