Breakfast Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + resting Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) blueberry muffin mix
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 maraschino cherries, halved
- Fresh blueberries, optional
- Rinse and drain blueberries from muffin mix; set aside. Combine muffin mix and yeast in a large bowl; set aside.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice in a measuring cup. Set pineapple aside. Add enough water to juice to measure 2/3 cup.
- Pour into saucepan; heat to 120°-130°. Add to muffin mix; stir just until moistened. Beat in the egg. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Combine brown sugar and butter; pour into a greased 9-in. round baking pan. Cut each pineapple slice in half; arrange over brown sugar mixture. Tuck cherries into pineapple.
- Spoon half of batter over pineapple. Sprinkle with reserved blueberries. Spread with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving plate. Cool completely. Garnish with fresh blueberries if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 403 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 566mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 2, 2017
This was a taste sensation for my family. I will say though that the dough is rather sticky and doesn't exactly "spread", but somehow it all works out and makes for a lovely presentation.
Feb 13, 2015
One word. Deee-licious!