- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) blueberry muffin mix
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 maraschino cherries, halved
- Fresh blueberries, optional
- Rinse and drain blueberries from muffin mix; set aside. Combine muffin mix and yeast in a large bowl; set aside.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice in a measuring cup. Set pineapple aside. Add enough water to juice to measure 2/3 cup.
- Pour into saucepan; heat to 120°-130°. Add to muffin mix; stir just until moistened. Beat in the egg. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Combine brown sugar and butter; pour into a greased 9-in. round baking pan. Cut each pineapple slice in half; arrange over brown sugar mixture. Tuck cherries into pineapple.
- Spoon half of batter over pineapple. Sprinkle with reserved blueberries. Spread with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving plate. Cool completely. Garnish with fresh blueberries if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forBreakfast Upside-Down Cake
"This was a taste sensation for my family. I will say though that the dough is rather sticky and doesn't exactly "spread", but somehow it all works out and makes for a lovely presentation."
"One word. Deee-licious!"