Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 12 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, beef, onion, mushrooms and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in salt and pepper; set aside.
- Pour butter into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Pour eggs over cheese. Top with sausage mixture.
- Pour the cream over sausage mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 344 calories, 28g fat (14g saturated fat), 288mg cholesterol, 578mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 20g protein.
May 19, 2013
I made this recipe yesterday for a church event. It was absolutely delicious! I refrigerated it for just 4 hours instead of 8 hours. I also used ground pork, just a little instead of 1 pound of ground beef. I really liked it. Nice for church breakfasts!! Will definitely make again!
May 10, 2011
Made this for mothers day brunch along with the apple pancake on this site. As a family we count carbs so this is perfect. Made as submitted with the exception of the mushrooms not everyone likes them. I also thin they release a lot of moisture which delays the firming up process. Also put in a couple of shakes of red pepper flakes :-)
May 2, 2011
We call this Eggs Lorraine in my house. I have never made it with the ground beef, only sausage. I break the eggs over the cheese and break the yolks. Doesn't have to be refrigerated overnight either. Otherwise, the recipe is the same. This is good next day heated up. Simple and easy to put together for a crowd.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.