Breakfast Sausage & Sweet Potato Muffins
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup leftover mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, oats, allspice, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, eggs, butter, oil and syrup. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in sausage.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 291 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 353mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 29, 2014
Loved these!!! What a great muffin for busy morning breakfast!!! I used ground turkey (with some added spices to make "sausage" (using this taste of home recipe: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/turkey-breakfast-sausage). I was able to make about 16 muffins. Yum!!!!!
Dec 3, 2013
These were fantastic!! And it was a great way to get my son to eat sweet potatoes bc here lately he's been very picky and not wanting to eat any vegetables. He loved these and so did the rest of the family!
Nov 29, 2012
I have never reviewed but loved this so much I had to join just to tell you. I did modify the recipe because I had no sausage at the time but just had to try make these muffins. The first time I made them I added about 2 oz goat cheese. I loved them and surprisingly so did my kids. THey were surprised that they liked the goat cheese too. The next morning I made them again...a double batch because they disappeared so fast the day before, but this time I added some chopped pistachios and added applesauce for half the oil/butter. It was amazing. The kids still want to try it with sausage and we will but for the minute it is just simply delicious!! Thanks for a new and tasty treat that is so moist and wonderful!!
Nov 27, 2012
Tinkered with the recipe just a bit. Used cinnamon instead of allspice. Did not have maple syrup so put in a bit of milk to loosen up the batter some. I made 16 rather than 12. Moist and delicious!