My family loves anything with a Southwest flavor, so I turned classic chiles relleno into a breakfast casserole and they became fans in an instant. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 can (27 to 28 ounces) whole green chilies
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage or fresh chorizo, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional ingredients: warm flour tortillas (8 inches), sour cream and salsa
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half the potatoes; all the chilies, opened flat; all the salsa; half the sausage; and half the cheese. Cover with remaining potatoes, sausage and cheese.
- Beat eggs and milk; add cumin, salt and pepper. Pour over potato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, until eggs are set in center, 35-40 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes. If desired, serve with warm tortillas, sour cream and additional salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 210 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 440mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Best Ever Breakfast Rellenos in Taste of Home Feb/Mar 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.