My family loves anything with a Southwest flavor, so I turned classic chiles relleno into a breakfast casserole and they became fans in an instant. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Recommended: 25 Surprising Ways to Use Jiffy Mix
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 can (27 to 28 ounces) whole green chilies
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll or fresh chorizo, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional ingredients: warm flour tortillas (8 inches), sour cream and salsa
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half the potatoes; all the chilies, opened flat; all the salsa; half the sausage; and half the cheese. Cover with remaining potatoes, sausage and cheese.
- Beat eggs and milk; add cumin, salt and pepper. Pour over potato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, until eggs are set in center, 35-40 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes. If desired, serve with warm tortillas, sour cream and additional salsa. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Breakfast Relleno in Taste of Home February/March 2018