This is one of my favorite recipes that I have been making for years—I even won a prize for it years ago. It's special not only because it tastes so good, but because it was passed down to me by my dear aunt.
Recommended: 30 Ooey-Gooey Cinnamon Roll Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cups plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly; set aside. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand 10 minutes. Beat egg yolks; add to yeast mixture. Stir gently into flour mixture to form a smooth ball. Divide dough in half; turn onto a floured board. Roll each half into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; beat in remaining sugar. Fold in vanilla. Spread onto each rectangle; sprinkle with nuts. Starting with short edge, roll up jelly-roll style. Pinch ends together. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cut a deep slit down center of each roll (do not cut through). Immediately bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Dust with confectioners' sugar while warm. When cooled completely, slice diagonally. Yield: 2 rolls.
Originally published as Breakfast Nut Roll in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p64