Breakfast Cranberry Scones
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cranberries, cornmeal, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, orange zest, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. In another bowl, combine the egg whites, buttermilk and oil. Add to dry ingredients and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Pat dough into an 8-1/2-in. circle. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut into 12 wedges; do not separate. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 183 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 216mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Jan 19, 2013
It is hard to believe these scones are healthy. They are so delicious! I like a larger scone (I know I am increasing my calories) but I cut my circle into 8ths.
Oct 3, 2011
Good, very tasty liht scone recipe! Made it with 4 tbs. (1/4 c.) butter instead of oil. I didn't have buttermilk, so I used light sour cream. It was very good, orange zest adds a nice flavour. I may have added a wee bit more sugar if I were to make it again. :)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.