Breakfast Cranberry Scones
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cranberries, cornmeal, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, orange zest, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. In another bowl, combine the egg whites, buttermilk and oil. Add to dry ingredients and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Pat dough into an 8-1/2-in. circle. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut into 12 wedges; do not separate. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 183 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 216mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 19, 2013
It is hard to believe these scones are healthy. They are so delicious! I like a larger scone (I know I am increasing my calories) but I cut my circle into 8ths.
Oct 3, 2011
Good, very tasty liht scone recipe! Made it with 4 tbs. (1/4 c.) butter instead of oil. I didn't have buttermilk, so I used light sour cream. It was very good, orange zest adds a nice flavour. I may have added a wee bit more sugar if I were to make it again. :)