Breakfast Cookies Recipe
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in oats and wheat germ. Fold in cheese and bacon. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until light brown. Yield: 3 dozen.
2 each: 183 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Breakfast Cookies
"These are excellent cookies. I have made this recipe for years. I'm not a fan of overly sweet cookies and these are simply mouth-watering. I gave this recipe to my friend for her finicky grandchildren who dislike both breakfast and oatmeal. The kids devoured the cookies in one sitting!"
"The nice thing about these is that you can easily adjust the flavors to suit your own taste - less sugar, more bacon and/or cheese. This recipe is good as is, but if you like to experiment try making them more savory by decreasing the sugar and adding parsley or dill, and spicy cheese like pepperjack."
"This recipe is a Quaker Oats recipe. I have a small cookbook from them that you ordered with labels or such many years ago and this recipe is in it and called "breakfast Take Alongs". They are not a sweet cookie but a good quick breakfast or snack. I have made many times mainly for my husband to take in his lunch as snacks."