- 12 ounces reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices firm white bread, cubed
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in the bread cubes, cheese and sausage mixture. Pour into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forBreakfast Casserole
"I have made this casserole twice now, the first time as written, it was delicious, but it lacked the full flavor of the eggs and cheese..but last night I made it again, and this time I used white bread and brioche bread, whole eggs, crispy bacon and full fat cheese...no low calorie anything in this dish..I baked it this morning and this time, there was no leftover..best breakfast casserole ever!"
"This is just like another recipe on Taste of Home, Cheesy Sausage Strata - and that one is much better with whole eggs!"
"Very tasty recipe! I omitted the mustard, and added fresh spinach to the recipe. The kids loved it, and it worked as a quick meal before school."