"I like to make this quick breakfast treat because I don't have to lug out my big mixer," mentions Cheryl Palla from Cannon Falls, Minnesota. The cake's mild orange flavor is complemented by a tasty streusel topping.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Combine egg, orange juice, oil, milk and orange zest; add to the dry ingredients just until combined. Pour into a greased 10-in. pie plate. For topping, combine sugar and flour in a bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 331 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 436mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Orange Coffee Cake in Quick Cooking November/December 2000