"I like to stash these satisfying squares in the freezer," writes Candace Jenks. "When I need a quick breakfast or anytime snack, I simply microwave the not-too-sweet bars until they're thawed," says the Minot, North Dakota cook.
Recommended: 30 Breakfast Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Combine oats, flours and wheat germ; gradually add to creamed mixture. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. In a small bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Stir in pecans, coconut and chocolate chips. Spread evenly over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Breakfast Bars in Quick Cooking July/August 2001, p14
Reviews forBreakfast Bars
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 16, 2011
"My husband loves these and requests them often!"