Breadsticks with Parmesan Butter
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
Makes3 dozen breadsticks and about 2/3 cup butter
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in 1 cup warm water. Add the oil, egg, salt, 2 cups flour, and remaining sugar and water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Punch the dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 36 pieces. Shape each piece into a 6-in. rope. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream the butter, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Serve with breadsticks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 104 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 99mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Feb 17, 2016
These bread sticks are wonderful..The first time I made them, I followed the recipe as written...my grand kids devoured them immediately...I too thought they were a bit on the sweeter side. I made them again yesterday and cut back a bit on the sugar and added fresh finely chopped Italian parsley to the Parmesan butter...Perfecto!!! This recipe is a keeper...
Apr 5, 2011
Delicious. I didn't bother with making the butter -- just brushed melted butter on the hot breadsticks and then dusted with parmesan. These were a little sweeter than I expected a savory breadstick to be, and could probably have worked just as well with a sweet topping.
Apr 21, 2010
these breadsticks are wonderful! so soft and fluffy, everyone that tried them loved them.
Mar 28, 2010
This is a favorite in our home. I have made these several times because they are a very easy to make bread recipe. I had made the dough one night I was going to serve the breadsticks to company. The weather turned icy and my company couldn't make it. The dough had risen and it makes a lot of sticks. So I thought I would try and make a couple of pizza's out of it instead. Oh my gosh it made a fantasic pizza crust as well. What a tasty and versatile bread recipe. I continue to use this as my pizza dough now. We make this about once a month now and have for years. This recipe will make 3 pizza's. I let it rise punch it down, spread it on the pizza stones with a little cornmeal sprinkle with spices and par bake the crust for about 10 minutes before adding the toppings. Then we add the toppings, bake 1 and freeze 2. It is the best homemade pizza ever!
Jun 12, 2009
Best breadsticks I have ever made and I have tried many recipes. I will not have to try any more because this is the one! Instead of serving with the garlic butter, I spread the butter on top of the breadsticks when they first came out of the oven and then sprinkle with garlic salt and Parmesan cheese.
Mar 15, 2008
Tried these and loved them!
Jan 9, 2008