Breaded Sea Scallops Recipe
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 sea scallops (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat egg. In another bowl, toss potato flakes and bread crumbs with salt and pepper. In a third bowl, toss scallops with flour to coat lightly. Dip in egg, then in potato mixture, patting to adhere.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add scallops; cook until golden brown and scallops are firm and opaque, 2-3 minutes per side. Yield: 2 servings.
3 scallops: 454 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 1262mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Breaded Sea Scallops
"Delicious recipe!! Funny thing is this was the first scallop dish I've ever made and it's a hometown recipe (I'm from Horsham)!!"
"I adapted this recipe to bake bay scallops because I cannot eat sea scallops. Instead of breading individual sea scallops, I placed well dried with paper towels bay scallops into an oiled (1 tablespoon) shallow 12-inch quiche dish. I left out the flour and egg. I mixed up the breading mixture and mixed it with 2 tablespoons melted butter and placed the mixture on top. I sprinkled the top with paprika, and I baked it in a preheated 400? degree oven for about 12 minutes. I garnished it with freshly minced parsley. We loved the combination of potato flakes and seasoned bread crumbs. The crumbs browned nicely and got nice and crunchy on top. Will definitely make this again."
"I made this for New Years and everyone loved it. I would make it again. I was the best I've ever made."
"This is one of the best scallop recipes I've tried. Without using all the butter that most recipes call for."
"This was a good recipe! Love scallops but my husband doesn't so this was good for me - leftovers for lunch were just as good. Thanks for sharing!"
"This was amazing!My husband said it was the best fish I've fixed in a really long time. The kids really liked it, too.I used flounder instead of scallops.The breading is very flavorful.I did have to keep adding oil, though."
"I don't know why but they stick in the pan... the flavor was okay though but my husband is not that fond of sea scallops."
"Very Very Good!"
"This is our favorite treat of all time!"
"These are so good! I think they're more of an appetizer though, but that's just my opinion."