Breaded Fish Sandwiches for Two
The seasoned breading of this hearty sandwich turns mild-flavored cod or halibut into a taste sensation, and the creamy sauce just keeps it going! Mildred Caruso - Brighton, Tennessee
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 halibut or cod fillet (6 ounces each)
- 2 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 tablespoons shredded carrot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated onion, optional
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- In a shallow bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Coat fillets with bread crumb mixture.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill halibut, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Grill buns, cut side down, over medium heat for 30-60 seconds or until toasted.
- In a small bowl, combine the lettuce, carrots and onion if desired; set aside. In another small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients; spread over bun bottoms. Top with halibut and vegetable mixture; replace bun tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 337 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 355mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 41g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 starch.
Originally published as Fishwich in Healthy Cooking June/July 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.