Breaded Asparagus Sticks Side Dish
Even people who don't like asparagus will love this side dish. The Parmesan cheese makes this dish so appetizing.—Linda Ordorff, Waverly, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min.
- 2 pounds asparagus spears
- 1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook the asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender. Drain well. Combine 1-1/2 cups cheese and the bread crumbs on a plate.
- In a shallow bowl, stir together eggs, salt and pepper sauce. Dip each asparagus spear in egg mixture and roll in crumbs to coat well. Chill 20 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat butter and oil on medium-high. Brown the spears in a single layer, turning carefully. Remove and keep warm while browning remaining spears. Serve with additional cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 237 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 698mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Breaded Asparagus Sticks in Country Woman March/April 1991
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.