VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds asparagus spears
- 1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook the asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender. Drain well. Combine 1-1/2 cups cheese and the bread crumbs on a plate.
- In a shallow bowl, stir together eggs, salt and pepper sauce. Dip each asparagus spear in egg mixture and roll in crumbs to coat well. Chill 20 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat butter and oil on medium-high. Brown the spears in a single layer, turning carefully. Remove and keep warm while browning remaining spears. Serve with additional cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Breaded Asparagus Sticks Side Dish in Country Woman March/April 1991, p35