Bread Stuffed Zucchini
Zucchini makes a great container for a filling of the squash, bread crumbs, cheese and onion.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 medium zucchini squash
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 3/8-in. shell. Reserve pulp. In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water and salt to a boil. Add zucchini shells; cover and boil for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside. Chop zucchini pulp.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion and chopped zucchini in oil until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the egg, bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Fill shells. Place in a greased baking dish. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until filling reaches 160° and is heated through.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 208 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 396mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Stuffed Zucchini in Country Woman July/August 1992
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.