Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 slices white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, eggs and sugar. Stir in bread cubes; let stand for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and cinnamon. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, butter, water and lemon juice in a saucepan. Whisk in egg yolk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon peel. Serve over pudding.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 404 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 172mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Feb 19, 2012
Needed a quick winter dessert to take to a Sunday dinner. This recipe came out well but the tasted was way too "eggy" and the fresh bread did not provide depth. If you like a very smooth texture and are okay with your dessert tasting more like a brunch food, then this will work. The lemon sauce was lovely and quick. It can go on pound cakes and such as well... I make alter this by using a tougher bread or old bread ends and one less egg.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.