Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 slices white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, eggs and sugar. Stir in bread cubes; let stand for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and cinnamon. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, butter, water and lemon juice in a saucepan. Whisk in egg yolk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon zest. Serve over pudding.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 404 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 172mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 19, 2012
Needed a quick winter dessert to take to a Sunday dinner. This recipe came out well but the tasted was way too "eggy" and the fresh bread did not provide depth. If you like a very smooth texture and are okay with your dessert tasting more like a brunch food, then this will work. The lemon sauce was lovely and quick. It can go on pound cakes and such as well... I make alter this by using a tougher bread or old bread ends and one less egg.