Bread Pudding with Homemade Caramel Sauce
My famous bread pudding is a sweet way to make use of the day-old dinner rolls that didn’t get gobbled up at Thanksgiving. The combination of the soft pudding with the sweet, velvety smooth sauce is a match made in heaven. —Anita Geoghagan, Woodstock, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + soaking Bake: 45 min.
- 5 large eggs
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 cups cubed day-old dinner rolls
- PRALINE SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sweetened whipped cream and toasted chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cream, sugar and vanilla until blended. Gently fold in cubed rolls; let stand about 15 minutes or until bread is softened.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake until puffed, golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Stir in brown sugar. Bring to a rolling boil. Boil 2 minutes. Stir in cream; return to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Serve with warm pudding. If desired, top with whipped cream and walnuts.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 498 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 175mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Bread Pudding with Praline Sauce in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016