- 1 whole turkey (12 pounds)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 medium green peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 pounds smoked ham, thinly sliced
- Remove giblets from turkey and discard. Place a turkey-size oven roasting bag inside a second roasting bag; add turkey. Place in a roasting pan. Combine the salt, pepper and garlic; rub over turkey.
- In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, tomatoes, peppers and parsley. Pour over turkey and into cavity. Squeeze out as much air as possible from bag; seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 12-24 hours, turning several times.
- Drain and discard marinade. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- Place turkey over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°, tenting turkey with foil after about 1 hour.
- Let stand for 20 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile, warm the ham. Layer turkey and ham slices on a serving platter. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forBrazilian-Syle Turkey with Ham
" This does sound really good. When I feel better I will try this one!Thanks
"I had a very special party for my whole family and the menu was a mix of Thanksgiving and Christmas dishes. I couldn't decide on having a ham or turkey so this was the perfect dish to just have both! Instead of cooking on the grill we cooked it in the oven because we didn't have a way to skewer it and use indirect heat. It still turned out amazing and the flavor was out of this world and it was very moist. Quite perfect. There were no leftovers, everyone raved about it and I will definitely make it again."