Bravo Italian Chicken for Two
With just a handful of Italian-style pantry staples, you're on your way to a hearty entree that both of you will love. Just add breadsticks! —Kristin Miller, Carmel, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 35 min.
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/8 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups tomato basil pasta sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Place eggplant in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with Italian seasoning and pepper. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chicken on both sides. Transfer chicken to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Rinse eggplant; pat dry with paper towels. Transfer to a large bowl; add pasta sauce and toss to coat. Spoon over chicken; top with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 468 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 1459mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 11g fiber), 45g protein.
Originally published as Italian Chicken with Eggplant in Taste of Home June/July 2011