- 1 pound fully cooked bratwurst links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the bratwurst, potatoes, water, onion, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cabbage.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in 2-1/2 cups milk. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth. Stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forBratwurst Potato Soup
"I used a can of beer instead of the 2c water. Made a big difference. Thought this was really good. Will for sure make again, next time with landjaegger sausage."
"This recipe sounded so good, but I think it was a waste of my good bratwurst. I was disappointed."