Brats with Onions
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 cans (12 ounces each) beer or 4-1/2 cups water
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 to 3 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 15 fresh bratwurst links (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 15 hot dog buns, split or brat buns
- In a Dutch oven, combine the beer or water, onion, garlic, pepper sauce, celery salt, pepper and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Add bratwurst. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Drain, reserving onions.
- Broil brats 4 in. from heat or grill over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until browned, turning once. Serve on buns with reserved onions.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 512 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 1341mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Feb 7, 2017
Very impressed! This could be a game day staple. The onions were absolutely delicious and the brats were perfect. The seasoning was excellent and wasn't overly spicy, even with the hot pepper sauce. Changes I made: I only used 10 brats which still leaves enough for a different dish, and I used season salt in place of the celery salt.
May 23, 2013
Delicious; used flavored beer...will do again
May 23, 2013
Ok, I usually improvise anyway; so I had a lemon/berry beer. So tender, I just ate it without bun and no mustard! So good...
Feb 14, 2013
I really like this method of cooking brats, they got good and crispy. There didn't seem to be enough seasonings so I put in extra hot sauce but I didn't realize how much this cooks down and the onions were almost to spicy. Next time I'll opt for the lesser seasoning amount especially with the celery salt.