Brat ‘n’ Kraut Supper
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider or red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Pepper to taste
- 5 fully cooked bratwurst links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Add the potatoes, sauerkraut, wine or broth, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, caraway seeds, bay leaf and pepper. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in the bratwurst; heat through. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 440 calories, 25g fat (10g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 1088mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Apr 5, 2012
Great!I varied the recipe a little and left out the potatos. I use two 14 oz. Kielbasa (Hillshire Farms), 1 large pkg. of Kraut. I grill up the onionsand put them aside, then grill the sliced Kielbasa in the same pan. I put the chicken broth and other ingredients into the pan with some of the Kielbasa, swish it around to get all the bits off the bottom, then throw everything in the crock pot. Leave it on low for the day, and have supper ready when you get home!
Jan 8, 2012
I have been making this for the past few years (since it was published ) we love it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.