VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup All-Bran
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a small bowl, combine bran and boiling water; set aside. In another bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and salt. Add egg and yeast mixture; mix well. Add bran mixture and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half; divide each half into 12 pieces. Shape each into a ball; place balls into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Brush with melted butter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Bran Rolls in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p128