Bran Griddle Cakes
You'd never guess there's bran in these moist, tasty pancakes that are drizzled with a sweet orange sauce. "My children are grown, but they still request this for breakfast when they come home," writes Marie Cockerham of Rock Hill, South Carolina. Your family will surely flip over these flapjacks, too!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup All-Bran
- ORANGE SYRUP:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 medium navel orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat egg; stir in milk, orange zest and bran. Let stand for 1-2 minutes or until bran is softened. Add to dry ingredients; mix well.
- Pour by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot nonstick griddle; turn when bubbles from on top of pancakes. Cook until second side is golden brown.
- For syrup, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Gradually stir in orange juice, butter and orange zest. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in chopped orange. Serve with pancakes.