Braised Winter Vegetables
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 4-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- In a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the vegetables and seasonings. Add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Uncover and increase heat to medium-high; cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 92 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 349mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 21, 2014
This is a favorite dish of my husband's. I vary the root vegetables according to what I have on hand. I also use more chicken broth than it calls for. If I recall correctly, the first time I tried this recipe using just the 1/2 cup of broth, the vegetables on top did not get tender.