Braised Short Ribs
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 6 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 to 8 boneless beef short ribs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- In a small bowl, combine water, 2 tablespoons oil, mustard, vinegar and seasonings; mix well. Place ribs in a large resealable plastic bag or shallow glass container. Set aside half of marinade. Pour remaining marinade over ribs; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- Drain, discarding marinade. In a skillet, brown the ribs in remaining oil. Transfer ribs to a greased shallow 1-qt. baking dish. Combine tomato sauce and reserved marinade; pour over ribs. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
Oct 28, 2011
These were just so so but the Pecan Green Beans were wonderful.
Aug 27, 2011
My experience was exactly the opposite of ggleon's. When I checked the boneless short ribs after the 1.5 hours, the meat was nice and tender. However, we didn't care for the sauce. I added some marsala wine to counter the tang from the mustard and vinegar. I wouldn't make it again.
Oct 23, 2008
I tried this for dinner as I am always looking for a different way to make short ribs for my husband. Very nice recipe but needs a bit of tweeking.As is, the flavor was very good but the meat was a bit tough. I'd definitely cook longer next time, maybe 2 to 2.5 hrs. Seasonings very actually good, though I would reduce the amount of rosemary to 2 tsp (I over did it a bit and put in the same amount for all the herbs) and add garlic! :) maybe some chopped onions and add a bit of red wine. Otherwise, good and easy! Enjoy!