- 3 pounds beef short ribs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- In a Dutch oven, brown ribs in butter and oil for about 3 minutes on each side; drain. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, cook and stir the onion for 2 minutes. Add water, salt, sugar and pepper, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- Place bay leaves and allspice on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. Place in pan. Return ribs to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs and keep warm. Discard spice bag. Skim fat from pan drippings. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with ribs. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forBraised Ribs
"Wonderful recipe! I made it for company too!. It's always a little scary to serve a new recipe on company. No problem with these ribs. I used beef short ribs that came out extremely tender. I used 2 cups of beef broth instead of the 1 cup of water. Also, I added 1 teaspoon of garlic salt. Lots of rave reviews from my husband and the guests! I will make this recipe again...definitely!"