Braised Lamb Shanks
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 2 lamb shanks (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, brown lamb in oil; remove and set aside. Add the onion and garlic; saute until tender. Stir in flour; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add bouillon and water; stir to dissolve.
- Return lamb to pan. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 599 calories, 34g fat (10g saturated fat), 159mg cholesterol, 1568mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 6g fiber), 47g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 28, 2018
This is the only lamb recipe i use. It gets rave reviews every time i make it.
Jul 18, 2016
Good recipe! I omitted the celery and carrots. I needed to double the recipe due to the number of lamb shanks I had. I felt the sauce was a little too thin. Perhaps that is because I doubled the recipe. Anyway, every one enjoyed this and I Will definitely use this recipe again. Thanks for the good recipe.
Jul 13, 2012
This was soooooo good and sooooo easy!
Aug 16, 2011
This recipe came out amazing. Melts in your mouth:) Very delicious flavor:)