- 1 boneless chuck roast (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup sour cream, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil on all sides over medium-high heat. Remove roast and set aside. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings. Saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic in drippings until tender.
- Return roast to the pan. Add the broth, bay leaf, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Add barley. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat and barley are tender. Add peas; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until peas are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Set the roast and barley aside; keep warm. Skim fat from pan juices. If desired, add sour cream to the pan juices; stir until heated through over low heat (do not boil). Slice roast; serve with barley and gravy. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forBraised Beef with Barley
"I have been making this recipe for years and everyone loves it. It is my family's all time favorite!!!"
"it says "or" until meat and barley are tender, so just bake it longer, makes sense right?"
"I love beef and barley, too. It sounds like you've made this so one question: When I've cooked barley on top of the stove as a side dish it is never really done in 45 minutes so what about in the oven.....do you find it needs more time to get tender? And do you have to add more liquid? Sometimes ovens vary....mine is less than a year old and is gas....so am wondering if 45 minutes is too short?Thanks, Elizabeth"