Braised Beef Rolls
THIS recipe originally called for short ribs, but to create a lower-fat version, I substituted flank steak or London broil cuts. This is a great company dish because it can be fixed ahead. Everyone enjoys the old-fashioned sweet-sour flavor. -Mary Kay Ankney, Springfield, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 2 to 3 pounds London broil or beef flank steak rolls
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-3/4 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 bay leaf, optional
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Hot cooked rice
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown meat on both sides in oil; drain.
- Combine 1-1/2 cups water, brown sugar, raisins, onion, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard and bay leaf if desired in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into raisin sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over the meat.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve over rice.