Braised Beef and Mushrooms Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped turnip
- 1/2 finely chopped onion
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-3/4 cups red wine vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons sodium-free beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- 1. In a large nonstick saucepan, brown meat in oil; drain. Remove meat from pan; set aside. In same pan, cook turnip and onion for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until turnips are tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the wine or broth, water, tomato paste, bouillon granules, horseradish, tarragon and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir into skillet. Return meat to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1-1/4 hours or until meat is tender. Uncover; simmer 15 minutes longer.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 298 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 134mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.