Braided Sweetheart Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 8 drops red food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half; tint one portion pink, leaving the remaining portion white. Wrap each portion in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- For each cookie, shape a 1-in. ball of each color into an 8-in. rope. Place a pink and white rope side-by-side; press together gently and twist. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; shape into a heart and pinch ends to seal.
- Bake at 350° for 8-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 147 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 138mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 8, 2011
These are a nice recipe. Similar to one i've always used for braided red/green candy cane shaped xmas cookies. Anyone who tries the recipe needs to be patient, fridge the dough for at least as long as recipe indicates. this cuts down on stickiness when handling. If your hands are super-warm this stickies up the dough as you work. Rechill unbraided dough between batches, during baking, so dough remains chilled for working.This does reduce stickiness. Can dust hands LIGHTLY with flour occassionally too. If my boys can handle and enjoy the task of braiding and shaping these cookies, adults can too! Get creative (instead of throwing it out!!yeesh!)with your dough, roll into log, fridge or freeze, slice and bake.
Jan 17, 2010
They tasted really good but I ended up throwing away more the half of it, because the dough was sticking to everything. And the shaping was very hard.