Braided Sesame Wreath
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk plus 2 tablespoons warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the butter, sugar, egg, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each portion into a 22-in. braid; pinch ends together to form a ring. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 218 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 1, 2012
This bread is a snap to make and makes a beautiful presentation. I would adjust the flour, however, as I needed much less than indicated. It should read more like 3 to 3 1/2 cups for a soft dough.