Braided Sesame Wreath
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk plus 2 tablespoons warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the butter, sugar, egg, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each portion into a 22-in. braid; pinch ends together to form a ring. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 218 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Jan 1, 2012
This bread is a snap to make and makes a beautiful presentation. I would adjust the flour, however, as I needed much less than indicated. It should read more like 3 to 3 1/2 cups for a soft dough.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.