Braided Pizza Loaf Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Melted butter or margarine
- 1. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the beef, onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, oregano, paprika and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool completely. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Place on a greased baking sheet. Spread filling lengthwise down center third of rectangle. Sprinkle with cheeses. On each long side, cut 1-1/2-in.-wide strips about 2-1/2 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Brush with butter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 slice: 234 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 687mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Reviews for Braided Pizza Loaf
"We really liked this! It is so easy using the store bought dough, but I also love it with my homemade dough."
"My family loves this! 5 kids and not one complains about it! I use 2 cloves of garlic minced and basil. I also make my own pizza dough - it's easy! The secret to good pizza dough is 1/2 C of semolina flour. One batch gives us just enough with no leftovers. Excellent for the busy week nights."