- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Melted butter or margarine
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the beef, onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, oregano, paprika and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool completely. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Place on a greased baking sheet. Spread filling lengthwise down center third of rectangle. Sprinkle with cheeses. On each long side, cut 1-1/2-in.-wide strips about 2-1/2 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Brush with butter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews forBraided Pizza Loaf
"We really liked this! It is so easy using the store bought dough, but I also love it with my homemade dough."
"My family loves this! 5 kids and not one complains about it! I use 2 cloves of garlic minced and basil. I also make my own pizza dough - it's easy! The secret to good pizza dough is 1/2 C of semolina flour. One batch gives us just enough with no leftovers. Excellent for the busy week nights."