Braided Peppery Cheese Rolls
These eye-catching braided rolls are a wonderful accompaniment to any meal. The coarsely ground pepper isn't overpowering. I sometimes like to use the dough when making hamburger buns.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt and pepper. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add 1 egg and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in cheese and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Divide into 36 pieces. Shape each into a 6-in. rope. Braid three ropes together. Pinch ends to seal. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg; brush over braids. Bake at 375° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 259 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 389mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Braided Peppery Cheese Rolls in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.