Braided Almond Ring
An almond and lemon filling highlights this attractive yeast coffee cake that's perfect for breakfast, brunch or when guests drop by. It's worth the effort and has won me more than one Best of Show ribbon. -Nancy Means, Moline, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes1 coffee cake (16 slices)
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons quick-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- ALMOND FILLING:
- 1/3 cup almond paste
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 large egg white, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast, lemon zest and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk, water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Add the egg, egg yolk and 1/2 cup flour; beat for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 20-30 minutes. Punch dough down. Divide into three pieces; roll each into a 24x4-in. rectangle.
- In a small bowl, beat filling ingredients. Spread over dough to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Place ropes on a floured surface; gently braid. Place in a well-greased 10-in. tube pan. Pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg with water; brush over braid. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Carefully remove from pan to a wire rack. Combine the first five glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm braid. Top with almonds.