Bourbon Steak Portobellos
I love this grilled steak and mushroom dish because it's easy and oh so pretty on the plate. If you like a little spice, add fresh jalapeno pepper to the peppers. —Kathy Vanderburg, Niceville, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating Grill: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (3/4 inch thick and 1 pound)
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 large sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 large sweet yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, bourbon and brown sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour 1/3 cup into a large resealable plastic bag; add steak. Seal bag and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove and discard stems and gills from mushrooms. Place mushrooms in a shallow dish; brush both sides with remaining marinade; cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine the peppers, onion, oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; toss to coat. Spread in a single layer on a grilling grid; place on a grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Cover and keep warm.
- Sprinkle steak with remaining salt and pepper. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat for 8-10 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 145° for medium-rare, 160° for medium and 170° for well-done.
- Meanwhile, grill mushrooms, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until tender, turning once. Spoon pepper mixture into mushrooms. Cut steak into slices; arrange over pepper mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Grill, covered, for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 301 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 637mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Bourbon Marinated Steak, Pepper, and Onion Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms in Healthy Cooking June/July 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.