Bourbon Caramel Popcorn
I took my great aunt's caramel corn recipe and added a touch of my Kentucky-born husband's home state—bourbon. If you don't have a large enough bowl for stirring the popcorn, use a turkey roaster. —Lisa Hendricks, Chicago, IL
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 5 quarts popped popcorn
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 250°. Place popcorn in a large bowl. In a large saucepan, bring bourbon to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes. Add butter; cook on low until melted. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup, cream of tartar and salt. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda. Quickly pour over popcorn and mix well.
- Transfer to two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake 1 hour or until dry, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from pans to waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight containers.
Originally published as Bourbon Caramel Popcorn in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016