I took my great aunt's caramel corn recipe and added a touch of my Kentucky-born husband's home state—bourbon. If you don't have a large enough bowl for stirring the popcorn, use a turkey roaster. —Lisa Hendricks, Chicago, IL
Recommended: 52 Cheer-Worthy Tailgate Appetizers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 quarts popped popcorn
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 250°. Place popcorn in a large bowl. In a large saucepan, bring bourbon to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes. Add butter; cook on low until melted. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup, cream of tartar and salt. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda. Quickly pour over popcorn and mix well.
- Transfer to two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake 1 hour or until dry, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from pans to waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 5 quarts.
Originally published as Bourbon Caramel Popcorn in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p183