Boston Cream Pie
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 4 packages yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 11 cups cold milk
- 4 packages (5.1 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 jars (16 ounces each) hot fudge ice cream topping, warmed
- 96 maraschino cherries with stems, optional
- Prepare and bake cakes according to package directions, using four greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat milk and pudding mixes on low for 2-3 minutes. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes. Cut each cake into 24 pieces; split each piece horizontally. Place about 1 heaping tablespoon of pudding between layers. Spread each with 1 tablespoon fudge topping and garnish with a cherry if desired.
May 7, 2014
I LOVE this recipe....for 96. I wish there were more of these!!!!!!!!!!!! I work in an elementary school with 75 teachers plus custodians, secretaries, etc and this is PERFECT. I am also thesocial chairman for our church and this recipe is a "no brainer". Please send MORE of these crowd pleasers.
May 20, 2013
Easy to make, family loved it!
Apr 2, 2011
I broke it down to one cake mix, and made the icing with the fudge topping, but instead of heating it, (where it breaks down the molecules)I added a little white Karo syrup to it to make it spreadable consistency. Yummy! I have in the past made it with my homemade cooked pudding when time permits. When I make it in round cake pans I add fresh raspberries or strawberries on top instead of the cherry. Great crowd pleaser for all ages. Goes fast at bake sales, too!!
Apr 2, 2011
anneamie - do you have a good pastry filling recipe you can share ? Please print !
Apr 21, 2010
Why on earth wouldn't you just make it with two 8" cake pans and put the cream between them instead of cutting up a bunch of pieces. I haven't tried this recipe yet but that is certainly what I will do.
Jan 16, 2010
It was without a doubt one of the easiest recipes to make and I also cut it down to make one pan instead of 4 pans.
Nov 1, 2009
Been making this for years. The only difference is that each cake mix will make 24 cupcakes, much less mess than cutting up a 9X13 cake (too crumbly). Just split each cupcake, fill with pudding and frost with frosting from a tub that's been warmed enough to use like ganache.
Oct 29, 2009
hi My name is betty k. I made this boston cream pie for my family reunion and every one loved it and the women ask for the reciepe ,I first thought that was alot of pie but it all went beforre the other desert. thanks a bunch.
Oct 29, 2009
This is a great recipe!. I always am looking for recipes, especially desserts, that I don't have to experiment with doubling or tripling the quantities.
Oct 28, 2009
There are great recipes out there for a chocolate topping. The bottled fudge topping does NOT make this a Bostom Cream Pie/Cake recipe! And for heaven's sake, making a simple pastry filling is far superiour in flavor and texture to a jello type of pudding mix.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.