This cute boot cake is easily shaped from pieces of a 9-inch x 13-inch cake. I tinted some of the cream cheese frosting to pipe on details. It was a fitting and delicious centerpiece for our cowboy buffet.
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + freezing Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package cake mix of your choice (regular size)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Food coloring of your choice
- Skittles bite-size candies
- Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper.
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using prepared pan. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Wrap and freeze overnight.
- Cover a 20x15-in. board with gift wrap or foil. Level cake top.
- To make boot, beginning from a short side, cut a 2-in.-wide strips. Cut strip into two pieces, one 5-1/2x2 in. and one 2-1/2x2 in. Cut a 10x2-1/2-in. strip from the large rectangle.
- To assemble base of boot, center the 10x2-1/2-in. piece widthwise on board 5 in. from bottom. Place remaining large rectangle on the right side, forming a backward L. Place the 2-1/2x2-in. piece under the long strip, forming the heal, and place remaining strip on the other side, forming the sole. Using a serrated knife, round corners of boot toe, sole, heal and top.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla; beat until smooth. Set aside 1 cup. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Tint reserved frosting desired color. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert round tip. Fill bag with tinted frosting.
- Outline boot shape along bottom and top edges of cake. Fill in heel and toe on cake top, smoothing with a metal icing spatula. With remaining frosting and Skittles, decorate boot as desired.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.