“Boo”rrific Black Bean Dip with Chips
—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
Makes3 cups dip and 3 dozen chips
- 9 flour tortillas (7 inches)
- 2-1/4 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup each chopped onion, sweet red and green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2/3 cup picante sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Cut tortillas with a 3-in. ghost-shaped cookie cutter. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Spritz tortillas with cooking spray; sprinkle with taco seasoning. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges just begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings. In the drippings, saute onion and peppers until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer.
- Add one can of beans and mash. Add the picante sauce, lime juice, chipotle peppers, cumin, salt and remaining beans; heat through. Stir in bacon and cilantro. Serve with ghost chips.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 190 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 509mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Smoky Black Bean Dip with Ghost Chips in Backyard Living September/October 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.