Rhubarb and blueberries are both native to our area, and this pie combines the flavors beautifully. We are fortunate to have a healthy rhubarb patch in our garden. It keeps us supplied with rhubarb from spring until well into fall.
Recommended: 17 All-American Recipes for Election Night
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine rhubarb and blueberries. Combine sugar, flour and salt. Sprinkle over the fruit; toss lightly. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; add filling. Dot with butter. Top with a lattice crust.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 35 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Bonnie Blue-Barb Pie in Country Extra May 1997, p51